NEW DELHI: The Covid-19 cases in India saw the biggest spike for the second consecutive day on Saturday with 6,654 new infections in the last 24 hours, taking the tally to over 1.25 lakh, while the toll rose to 3,720, the Union health ministry said. Meanwhile, Brazil became the world No. 2 hotspot for coronavirus cases after 330,890 people tested Covid-19 positive.
Here are the top developments from India and around the world:
- India will try to restart a good percentage of international passenger flights before August, Civil Aviation Minister Hardeep Singh Puri said on Saturday, three days after announcing resumption of domestic flights from May 25.
- The Congress released a documentary film on Saturday on Rahul Gandhi’s interaction with a group of migrant labourers last week, demanding justice for such workers who are walking hundreds of kilometres to their homes amid the coronavirus lockdown.
- The Railways has ferried around 32 lakh migrant workers on board 2,570 Shramik Special trains since May 1, according to official data.
- As Indian firms scramble to develop a vaccine for coronavirus, experts feel that research in the country is still at a nascent stage and any concrete breakthrough is not likely within a year.
- Senior Congress leader P Chidambaram on Saturday asked RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das to “bluntly” tell the government to do its duty and take fiscal measures if he feels that the demand has collapsed and the GDP growth is heading towards negative territory.
- The nationwide lockdown will no longer help India in its fight against COVID-19, and in its place community-driven containment, isolation and quarantine strategies have to be brought into play, leading virologist Shahid Jameel said.
- GoAir is ready & prepared to resume safe operations after the two-month lockdown.
- Hockey players can visit home but will have to serve quarantine period upon returning, Hockey India SOP says.
- Three employees of Cadila Pharma die of Covid-19
- ICMR issues revised advisory on use of hydroxychloroquine.
- Uttarakhand CM hands over a cheque of Rs 10 Lakh to wife of constable Sanjay Gurjar, from CM’s Relief Fund. He lost his life on May 5 while carrying out his duties amid lockdown.
- The novel coronavirus death toll in Delhi rose to 231 on Saturday, while the number of infections climbed to 12,910 with 591 new cases.
- Maharashtra records 2,608 new coronavirus cases and 60 deaths on Saturday, taking total count of cases to 47,190 and death toll to 1,577.
- Odisha Govt has allowed home delivery of liquor. Odisha Govt has introduced a ‘Special Covid Fee’ & increased maximum retail prices of all types of foreign liquor & beer by 50%.
- Sikkim reports first Covid-19 case as 25-year-old student who recently returned from Delhi tests positive.
- 29 deaths, 396 new Covid-19 cases reported in Gujarat in 24 hrs; total in the state reaches 13,669, including 829 deaths
- Madhya Pradesh: A Covid-19 positive woman today gave birth to a pair of twins at an Indore hospital. The mother and the twins are safe and healthy.
- ID cards of MLAs will now act as e-passes for travel in MP, government official says.
- The Chhattisgarh government has classified four development blocks in the state as red zones and 80 as orange zones to contain the spread of coronavirus.
- The Rajasthan government will run free buses to Haridwar and other places in Uttarakhand to facilitate travel of families for ash immersion of their loved ones.
- Tamil Nadu government allows beauty parlours and salons to open from tomorrow, except in Chennai.
- Congress arranges buses for Kerala students stranded in Bhopal.
- More than 5.23 million people were reported to have been infected globally with the virus and 337,887 have died, according to a Reuters tally.
- Brazil registered 1,001 daily coronavirus deaths on Friday, taking total deaths to 21,04