on Friday announced an advance interim assistance of Rs 1,000 crore for cyclone-hit
and Rs 500 crore to the state of
after taking stock of the situation in wake of the
The PM conducted an aerial survey of cyclone-hit areas in West Bengal and attended a review meeting with
in Basirhat in North
district. He later also visited Odisha and conducted an aerial survey of Bhadrak and Balasore to assess the impact of the cyclone.
Here are the key points:* During his visit, Modi also announced an ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh to the families of each of those killed during the devastation caused by cyclone Amphan, and Rs 50,000 for the injured in West Bengal.
* Appreciating Banerjee’s efforts in galvanising the state administration to deal with the natural disaster even while dealing with the Covid-19 pandemic, Modi said the whole country stands with West Bengal.
* After the review meeting, Mamata said that Bengal has suffered losses of more than Rs 1 lakh crore due to super cyclonic storm ‘Amphan’, which has killed 80 people and left thousands homeless in the state.
* The chief minister contended that the calamity is “more than a national disaster”.
* She said it will take time to restore normalcy, with cyclone ‘Amphan’ having ravaged at least seven to eight districts in Bengal, and adversely impacting 60 per cent of the state’s population.
* Most of the areas we surveyed were totally ravaged. I have briefed the Prime Minister in detail about the post-cyclone situation in the state,” she said at the airport after seeing off Modi.
* The PM has announced Rs 1,000 crore emergency fund… What’s the package I don’t know. I have told him that we will give him the details. It will take some time to assess the full overall situation but damage is of more than Rs 1 lakh crore, she said.
* Banerjee said she “reminded the Prime Minister about Rs 53,000 crore the Central government owes to the state for various social security schemes.”
* After meeting Odisha governor Ganeshi Lal and CM
, the PM announced an ex-gratia of